Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Showcar Glaze

Managed to finally wash and polish my car on the weekend. I spent some time looking around the shops at what was available as far as polish/waxes go. Came upon the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Showcar Glaze. The scree on the bottle sounded good. The price was just over $25. Bit expensive in my book, but thought if it gave me some results, then it should be money well spent.

I'm not a car geek who spends every waking hour polishing a bit of chrome here, wiping some dust off there etc. I just like to have a clean car and in the process make sure I look after the paintwork as best I can. With this in mind the Meguiar's sounded ok so this is my review of it.

One of the things that swayed my purchase of this bottle, is that it says you don't have to let it dry. Just wipe on thinly then wipe and buff. All too often you get these great promises of car polish lasting for months and months, but trying to polish the stuff off is a nightmare. It lasts for months and months alright, usually in all the panel joins etc.

This is some of the info on the bottle:

"A pure polish that nourishes the paint for a dazzling, wet-look, showcar shine. Safe and effective on all paint finishes including clear coats. Perfect for serious car enthusiasts; does not build up with repeated use. Will not leave a white, powdery residue."

Bit of a sales speak or not? Meguiar's have been around for a long time so they should know what they're talking about. If what they say is wrong, I'm sure the car fraternity would soon bag them big time.

It is a new car that I am polishing, so faded paint etc isn't a problem. So I washed the car, got as much grime and bugs off as I could. Probably should have done a pre-wax step, but I didn't have anything on hand, and had already put off doing the car for so long, I decided to go ahead anyway. It wasn't like there was a lot of hard to get off spots anyway.

I used a foam pad to put the polish on, and it spread easily. It says to do a panel at a time, but for most, I did a section, then overlapped the next application with what I had already done.

I buffed using a microfiber cloth. All it takes is an initial wipe of the cloth and then a bit of a buff to get the shine showing.

The polish didn't leave any white marks where panels join etc. This was a relief. However, as the bottle advises, don't put it on black rubber bits. If you do, you will have white areas appear. Meguiar's produce a product that will get this off though.

So application and buffing was pretty much a breeze. The finish on the car? Quite impressed. When you're doing it, you don't really notice, but when finished and you step back for a good look, the shine is very impressive. I was really pleased when I looked at the result the next morning. With the early morning sun shining on it, it looked pretty impressive, like it just rolled off the show room floor.

So would certainly recommend this product. Like I've said, I'm no car geek, but as far as an average car owner goes (which is probably most of us), you'll not be disappointed with the results.

How long the shine will last is something else. I hope to update this blog in a few weeks/months time when there is no longer any shine.

I have heard where Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax is very good. You just spray it on and polish. One geeky site said that they were surprised at the great result for such an over the counter type of product and put it in their recommended products list. So will be trying this in the near future to see how it fares.

Happy polishing.

UPDATE: I have tried Meguiar's Ulitimate Quick Wax. Spray on, wipe with a cloth to get even coverage, then with a dry cloth buff to a shine. Pretty simple. Easy to do. It still makes your arm ache though. Took me maybe 20 mins to do a medium sized car. You do suffer some overspray, but it's not a real problem as you just make sure you overlap the covering and polish stages. Hard to say how much one application took out of the bottle. Maybe a third? Results are good. For some reason, the bumpers seemed to really come up. But the shine is nice. Considering it's only a spray on, results are very good and would recommend this product. Price is a bit steep. Not sure how long it will last. Hopefully will update with that info in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment